Tuesday, June 2, 2009

And In the Main Circus Ring.......


Some days my life is a circus, and completely by accident I am the clown in the middle of it. Last Wednesday was no different.


T, E, and I headed to our playground for some play time. We went with the bike trailer, so I took the garage door opener to get back in the house rather then keys. After a lovely sun tan at the park it was time to head home for lunch. T was upset we had to go. I asked him to go put our water jug in the back of the bike trailer. I had forgotten that our blanket, garage door opener, etc. were also in there. In his anger he threw the jug in with the lid partially open. I didn't notice until we get home and there is our garage door opener floating like a raft in a puddle of water. Argh.

For future reference, door openers do not open after being submerged in water! So, here were are locked out of our house. Very hot, very hungry, very cranky kids. All windows and doors are locked upon first attempt. Hmmmm. So, I called my sister Hannah to come and try and bail us out and bring a knife to try and pop the screens.

Hannah comes to the rescue. She hops out of her car and is evaluating the situation when my "helpful" four year old shuts her car door. With her keys and the break in knife inside. Sigh....deep breath........ohhhhhh fuuuudddggeee.


We now are locked out of the house, locked out of her car, and look like a couple of real ninnies (at least I did). I head next door to see if by chance my neighbors are home (normally they're at work/school). By some miracle it's her day off! She has a knife for break in purposes....AND, she volunteers to keep my kids while we attempt to get in. I nominate her for neighbor of the year!


We attempt several windows and screens and FINALLY find an open one- I wont reveal which one in case you try and break in yourself. Hooray!!! So Hannah climbs in and unlocks several doors so we don't have a repeat performance. Now on to our next challenge.....


CHAPTER 2

If you will recall we have a locked car sitting in my driveway, parked directly behind my burb. For their next trick, the Cowley sisters are creatively trying to back a suburban out of a garage, around a car, avoiding a street lamp and power box! It went pretty smooth if I do say so myself. We headed down to Hannah's house, got the keys and returned back to the scene of the crime.

When I head over to pick up my kids I find them eating a healthy lunch, happy and laughing, my neighbors house immaculately clean, and my kids happy to see me. How did she do it???? She's even baking cheesecake!! This neighbor even brought over cheesecake later that night. Maybe someday I'll get there. In the mean time, as Hannah's hubsand calls it, "We are quite the pair" probably because this is something that is quite regular between us. I'm so glad she lives close by!!!


So, here are a few things I learned that day:

- Garage door openers are not water resistant

- Keep a knife or spare keys hidden somewhere so I do not have to keep breaking into my home

- My neighbor is a saint and my kids like her better

- Someday my house might stay clean for longer then 5 minutes, but by then I will miss all the crazy days that come with 2 and 4 year olds.

- I love you T & E!

5 comments:

Teri's Life said...

Now, how many times have you been locked out of your house? Is it 3? 4? Hopefully your kids won't inherit the "lock yourself out of the house" gene.

♥ kimberly said...

Oh, boy. Aren't those days fun? And I'm sure they thought you were such a fun mom for taking them to the playground...simple pleasures.

Holly said...

I met Hannah at the Red Box the other night! We had a great visit, even before I figured out she was your sister. It's fun to have sisters near by.

Scott & Rachael Nelson Family said...

When are you going to invite Kim and Kate to join in the Cowley Sisters Circus? I bet they wish they could help guide the 24 point turn out of the garage!

Jessie said...

What an ordeal! I'm glad it all got resolved!

I love reading stories like this because they are so entertaining (hopefully even for you, you can hopefully laugh about this now that it is behind you).

Another reason I like reading these stories is because I like knowing that other people's days can be crazy like ours sometimes are :)