Monday, February 18, 2008

Bummer

Well, so far my initiation into the world of stay at home mom has involved my child locking me out of the house, a confirmed case of tonsillitis, and diagnosis from my nurse next door, chicken pox. Weren't they vaccinated you're asking yourself? Why, yes, yes they were. Evidently, the vaccine is a sort of vaccine (in my opinion). Our ward is blooming with cases of chicken pox although most of them have been vaccinated! Early last week Emma had a pretty good fever, with it spiking around 103.6. She also had a really runny nose, and diaper rash (so I thought). I thought all of this was due to some teething, but after her fever was going on that long I decided to take her in.

Off to the dr. we go, and she has tonsillitis. I didn't even think to have him check her bum because I thought it was diaper rash. No sooner had we got home then her "diaper rash" started to blossom, blister, and spread all over her bum and partially down her legs. Hmm, that weird I thought. But, I also know she was exposed to a case of chicken pox precisely 2 weeks ago. I check web md (sometimes a good thing, sometimes a source of panic) and she has all the symptoms of chicken pox, and it's the exact incubation period. In my mode of concern I asked my local nurse (aka my next door neighbor) and she took one look and said "Oh, that's chicken pox." Some of her blisters were already starting to burst, and more were forming.

To add to this little story Trevor decided to have a pretty good fever for the next two days. Although, at the exact second of this typing we have not identified any "chicken spots" as he calls them yet. And, if it truly is chicken pox that Emma has, it has been a very mild case.

I can't complain, if they are going to get chicken pox, they might as well get them over with at the same time and while they're still young. I just wanted to inform all those that have shared some air with us in the past two weeks, we have some funky stuff going on at our house. I was going to include a picture, but modesty was a factor. If it is diaper rash, it's the weirdest one she's ever had. Let me know your opinion, although I will not hold you responsible for any medical diagnosis. But, as a little tidbit of info, did you know that pox actually means curse? Hmmm, appropriately named.


3 comments:

Hannah Jones said...

Good storytelling! That was a fun read!
J has a nasty diaper rash and I'm watching it like a hawk... making sure they aren't chicken spots too.

Teri's Life said...

I'm signing up! Yipee!

The Bingham Family said...

Hi Rachael! It's me Kim Bingham....so sad to hear about your little ones. How are you doing?