
We have a bad case of spring FEVER!!! I am ready for the snow and germs to disappear and for spring and healthy kids to arrive. My entire life I was never hospitalized until I had babies. Both of our kids have now had a nice stay at the Invalid Hotel now before they reach 18 months- trust me, I don't like it. Last weekend Emma started throwing up really bad, but I thought she either ate too much or was a little excited over Gina's 12th birthday fiesta. Turns out it wasn't either. She had another fever around 103, and was just miserable. Lots of throw up, and a very worried momma.
I took her in to our Dr. who is making a nice income off our family alone, and she needed some help. He sent her over to the hospital just for some IV therapy to get some juices back in her- no big deal. After about an hour they came in and said that after doing some blood work she had a few more problems then they originally thought. Among the list they rattled off I only remember that her glucose and bi-carbonate levels were too low, and they needed to get those back up before they could send her home, otherwise she'd be right back in the hospital. She had also lost at least 4 pounds in a week. (p.s. if any of you know what bicarbonate levels are or what they do let me know, I didn't quite understand that part).
The sad part about all of this is that the pediatric floor was so full with RSV and other GI (gastrointestinal) patients we actually had to wait about 2 hours in the lab room before they had a room open up! I am again so very grateful for medical professionals and all of the technology and patience they have. They were really excited that night because they were down to 1 spare room, so it was going to be a "slow" night for them.
We spent the night at the hospital, with Emma showing little improvement until about noon the next day. She had a really hard time keeping anything down, especially dairy products. Finally around noon she developed an appetite, and was able to keep some cheerios down. Luckily around 7:00 the next day the Dr. released her on a liquid diet. She (and I) were SO excited to come home!!! She just shakily wandered all over looking at her toys and loving her blankets. I don't see how old people could want a hospital bed as a regular bed- in my experience as a patient and sort of patient, those things are awful!
So, as an update to grandparents and family members, she is doing very well and can now keep a couple ounces of milk down. Thank you all for your prayers and concern, we really appreciate it! Now, if the snow and germs could disappear for a few months, I'd love it!
2 comments:
Poor little girl. She's had a rough year, hasn't she? We will be sure to keep you guys in our prayers. On another note...Gina's 12!!!??? That's not possible. I can't believe it! I remember our matching hair-do's when she was like, 7!
Poor baby. I'm glad she's getting better. There's nothing better than coming home to your own bed!
Post a Comment